New solutions for the organisation of design competitions
A modular platform for organisers of high-quality competitions
Architecture and urban planning are becoming digitised. Information technology not only provides ways of doing things digitally, but also opens up opportunities to reform the processes of creating built environments. We offer established technology, methods and the ability to develop advanced solutions for competition-specific needs thus making the top standard for design competitions available to every organiser.
Browsing, labelling, rating, chatting and reviewing done right.
We make the top standard for design
competitions available to every organiser
Better architecture, smoother competitive tendering and a more productive outcome
THE BASICS FOR SMOOTH OPERATIONS
Stumbling blocks for competition organisers
Typically, there will be dozens, at best up to hundreds of proposals in the competition and they will be submitted in PDF format. Large and detailed vector drawings can reach tens of megabytes. Rasterised images with high visual resolution load slowly, and transitioning between files is cumbersome.
At worst, the transition to electronic evaluation turns against itself: the documents are difficult to view and the evaluation doesn't go smoothly. Reviewers have not been able to do their work, independent of time and place. The lack of information security and anonymity has also brought new risks to the competition process.
Organising competitions has put a strain on both the organisers and the jury.
THE BASICS FOR PRODUCTIVITY
Commercial potential often remains unattained
Competitions are quality competitions where it is not justified to carry out the scoring of individual elements of proposals based on partial optimisation. The evaluation shall be based on a comparison of the entirety of the proposals. As the number of proposals increases, comparing the proposals becomes more difficult technically, and the overall quality and viability of the proposals are less important factors in this cumbersome environment.
Due to the uncertainty of the competitive tendering process, the best participants or judges may have been missed out. The unpredictability of schedules has also delayed projects.
Competitive tendering enables the development and utilisation of high-quality design expertise, but the lack of competitive tendering technology has hindered harnessing this potential for the organiser.
The most common challenges in design competitions
For the organisation
- The implementation of a credible remote evaluation process for the design competition has been identified as challenging.
- Holding the competition in accordance with the Procurement Act causes extra stress.
- A slow and laborious process increases the cost of competitive tendering.
- Anticipating the schedule and total cost of the tendering process is difficult.
- A physical presentation space is required for the competition work.
- It remains unsure whether the chosen proposal is the overall best proposal with the best development potential.
For the competition organisers
- There may be uncertainty about choosing the best tendering process.
- Competitive tendering eats up more working hours than desired.
- Coordinating schedules with the various parties involved causes difficulties.
- It is difficult to maintain the anonymity of participants at the stages that require it.
- Being informative and inclusive becomes cumbersome.
- To organise the web presence, you need a separate website creator.
For participating architects
- Participation may seem questionable due to a lack of equal opportunities for evaluation.
- Producing quantitative material takes time away from the planning of the competition work itself.
- It can take time to get feedback, and reviewing it thematically can be challenging.
- The possibility of maintaining anonymity during the comparative evaluation raises questions.
- The competition going over schedule can make things messy.
For competition judges
- Remote working is not going well. Finding content and data at the right moment is difficult.
- It will take a lot of work to coordinate schedules.
- The conditions required to ensure an equal assessment have been partially lacking.
- The lack of a systematic commentary model has created inconsistencies in judges' comparative evaluations.
- With the cut-and-paste model, reviews may have ended up attributed to the wrong proposals.
- With the pandemic, the risk of infection can hinder participation.
A new era of design competitions
More efficient organising
With a finished process and a tool that utilises automation, time and money are saved for something more useful. CC* ensures smooth organisational processes, guaranteeing you get the most out of the competition. The process is also environmentally friendly as the need for travelling and printing decreases.
More confidence in achieving the best outcome
In terms of the end result, it is important to find the best outcome on an equal footing and to recognise all the potential of the proposals. CC allows for more in-depth processing of information. A structure will be created to compare the proposals, opening up opportunities for new innovations.
Increase the competition profile and attractiveness
The competition will reach its full potential on a functional platform so that the proposals, the competition itself, and those involved can be portrayed in the positive light they deserve. The ingenious details can all be brought to light. Through CC, presenting the work to the public, and possibly including them in the process, is easier.
Ensure safety and meet the requirements
*CC = Competition Cloud
A well-anticipated, clear and timely process that always produces the highest-quality result
A whole ecosystem, where you can take advantage of the modules you need
Order the Guidebook to choose the right design competition type
How is Competition Cloud able to work smoothly and productively?
With the right process
the competition schedule
can be halved.
The possibility for errors
caused by the process
Clearly a better chance
of positive publicity
for the competition.
The environmental burden of the
competition will be significantly
reduced due to the reduced need
for travel and printing.
About a third
It is recommended by
all customers who have
used the solution.
Our values and promises
Professional pride & courage
to be an expert
Getting rid of the rush
Develop quality of life,
processes and products
We're tuning productivity to the maximum
We'll make construction easier